Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Nancy Fohner


I'm Nancy Fohner, 7th grade science teacher at Peterson Middle School, new partner teacher to Mr. Heumann, being dragged relentlessly into the technology age. I am totally looking forward to the summer institute and all the new things to learn! This is my 3rd year of teaching 7th grade, 8th teaching overall. I love being at Peterson where interesting things are always happening. We have a beautiful 2 acre Nature Area outside our classrooms and I get to work out there one period a day and lead, with the help of my 7th graders (next years 8th graders!), field trips for the elementary schools around. I take 60 kids to the Catalina Island Marine Institute every Feb. (that's me on the ferry dock), I have an astronomy club, a GAINS club, I love crafts, and I teach parts of a science and math camp for 7th grade girls every summer. I live in Gilroy and this is the first time in 18 years that I will not be the lead volunteer at the Volunteer Entrance Gate for the Garlic Festival--I will be taking the Biodiversity class run by John Muir Laws in Fish Camp. Yeah! (But if anyone is interested in working a shift, let me know--you get free admission and food.) I will also be taking a great class on writing in science with some of the Science and English teachers and the librarian from Peterson.
I was born in New York, but spent much of my school years overseas--the longest was Beirut for 5 years ('61-'67). I went to college at Smith College in Mass. and Cornell in New York where I managed to remain a student until I was 32 (my degrees are in nutrition and biochemistry). Thanks to my generous husband, I was able to stay home (whatever that means for a full-time volunteer) for 15 years with my two children, until we needed more money for their education. My son returns from 1 1/2 years in Australia tomorrow! My daughter--with a Master's Degree in Immunology--is a camp counselor at Stanford Family Camp for one more summer
This summer I have a personal trainer and I have found Zumba--a great exercise routine. I'm getting ready to go backpacking, my passion. I hiked across Catalina on the new Trans-Catalina Trail this spring.
I love to teach--the students are so inspiring, there is always something to learn, and there is never a dull moment. My learning style is probably mostly auditory but also visual and kinesthetic. I try to accomodate all learning styles in my classroom. I find science is perfect for all students. Chris and I will be teaching an honors science class next year and I hope so much to learn advanced tools to bring to that class and more than that, new ways to help the regular classes learn and appreciate science. I look forward to meeting and working with all of you!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting, Nancy. I never knew some of those things about you. Your experiences in life are so powerful and diverse. We are so lucky to have your knowledge, passion, and personality in the group. You will add and do great things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Nancy, I cannot wait to meet you and share some of your motivation, energy and ideas :) I especially am interested in your field trips and the writing in science project. See you in a few weeks--Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy,

    I think that I met you at a FOSS training with Marie Bacher. I believe it was a few of your students who guided the teachers around the Petersen Nature Preserve. It was great. I hope to take my students there next year. (I teach at Scott Lane!)

    ~Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy was my 7th and 8th grade science teacher back in 2002-2004. She was a great spirit and was always so enthusiastic about the topics she taught. Any student and educational institution is lucky to have her.

    ReplyDelete